WHO is updating its global response strategy
WHO directer general Tedros tweeted that as the world approaches 2 million cases of COVID-19, so WHO is updating its global response strategy to control this pandemic and save lives. The update strategy summarizes the way forward and criteria for lifting up restrictions.
The strategy includes that before lifting restrictions, WHO calls on countries to ensure:
- COVID-19 transmission is controlled
- Health system capacities are in place to detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact.
- Outbreak risks are minimized in special settings
- COVID-19 preventive measures are in place in essential places people go to ( workplaces, schools)
- Important risks can be managed
- Communities are fully educated and engaged to adjust to the “new norm”.